Tuesday, April 10, 2012

MORE TRUE STORIES FROM THE WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY


Many years ago I worked at a camera store.  These stories are not made up, they actually happened.


Imagine an average camera store.  The scene takes place at the film counter.

“Can I help you sir?”

“Yes, I need some sheet film.”

“What size please?”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Well, you certainly must want a certain size.”

“No, I don’t.”

A moment of silence.  Then, what seems to be the problem solving question.

“What kind of camera do you have?”

“I don’t have a camera.”

“But sir, how do you take your pictures?”

“Oh, that’s easy.  I just take the film. Throw it into the air where it will pick up images and then go into my darkroom and develop them.”

“Well, now I understand.”

The guy walked out with the largest sheet film in stock.  A happy customer.


And another one…

“I would like to have these reprints made of my negatives.”

The customer hands over a small slip of paper with a bunch of numbers on it.

“Okay sir, but I do need your negatives.”

“No Ma’am, that is okay.  I wrote down the negative numbers and the number of reprints I wish to get.  This way I won’t have to bother with the negatives.”

“I am sorry sir, but I still need your negatives.”

“Lady, please!  I have gotten my pictures here for a long time this way.  Just check the numbers.”

“But sir, you must understand that without the negatives I cannot help you.”

He mumbled something about business elsewhere and stormed out.




2 comments: